Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Prettiest Interstate Highways for Driving

The big road trip is complete, and I ended up driving some really nice interstates, and driving some not-so-nice ones, so this is a summation of a few of my favorites. First, my criteria for favored roads: visual interest is a must. It may be a winding or straight road, it may be wide-open or closed in with trees, and it could be heavily traveled, but I prefer that it not be. My favorites are always rural; while I am awed by the view of big cities, I do not favor them. I would rather see something wild or pastoral, not urban. The gold-standard of scenic byways has to be the Blue Ridge Parkway, because it has all of these qualities, but sometimes it is just nice to be going someplace quickly while enjoying the ride - thus, pretty interstates is my topic. Now a word on my least favorites: The Florida Turnpike, all of interstate 95, the interstates around Nashville, and I -65 north of Louisville. What these interstates share are: poor road condition, crowding and busy any day or night, and singularly ugly views of Americana. The rest areas are industrial, large, smell weird. They have food that you eat because you are hungry, but don't relish. Even on highways I enjoy driving, there are some of the bad qualities, but for the most part the bad is minimized or the views at least make up for it. Some of my favorites Mile 299 of Interstate 75 in Florida is one of the prettiest miles and I drive it regularly. It is beautiful in any season (not that there is a whole lot of difference between how it looks in each season, because we don't get snow), but it is a favorite because of the tree spacing, the rolling hills, the cows, the clouds, and the quality of light. I enjoy it every time I drive through. Sunset is a particularly beautiful time, as the road follows a crest and the view is open for miles, especially with a few clouds that get a backlight from the sinking sun. Spring is just gorgeous, with its emerald green fields and grazing Holstein herd. Interstate 66 from Washington DC to I-81 near Winchester is a real treat. I have traveled that one several times, usually in summer, and have enjoyed its forested hills, raw rock cliffs, quaint old-fashioned small farms tucked into valleys, and though it is short, the view just continues around every bend. Interstate 81 between Winchester and Asheville is another pretty road. It is not as gorgeous as I - 66, but it is usually in good condition, not too crowded, has plenty of good farms to look at, plus being able to look across the valley at the Appalachian mountains and the Blue Ridge cannot be beat. I realized this past trip, that they are prettier from the distant view than the up close one, riding the blue ridge parkway. That distance puts a nice soft focus on everything. And my new favorite: Interstate 390 in New York! Wow, spectacular views. I loved it in the middle of summer, and I imagine it is stunning this time of year with fall colors creeping in. It was fairly remote, with not many towns to go through. It basically is a connector between the norther I-90 (ugly, don't bother) and the southern I -86 (another gem in my book). I would love to drive that one again. Interesting city: Cleveland, Ohio! I really liked it. Not so pretty: Buffalo, NY! Barf! Even in the summer it's ugly ... can you imagine how awful in the winter? I can't even! Those northern cities are really different from southern ones. It reminds me that our southern cities are still growing. And that is probably not the case up north. I would love to do that I-390 again though. And comment if you have any favorites!

1 comment:

  1. I have to give the northeast props for nice interstate driving views. One of my least favorite had to be I-10 between Phoenix and Gainesville, especially the part that runs through Houston TX. My favorite Florida interstate drives are the stretches that go by swampy areas with lonely palm trees here and there.

    ReplyDelete