Wednesday, October 14, 2009

my mind rebels...

I am reading the boringest book ...EVER
And it is called
The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
By James Joyce
Why did anyone publish this enormous festering pool of mental pus?
Let alone laud it?!?
I am so restless, I could bite myself.
But last time I made a mark
and that was embarassing
so I won't do that again
Not because of the pain but because of the mark
Throw in a few more big words and arduously looping comments
and I could be published and lauded too.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read that one, but I have read excerpts of Ulysses, by the same author. It often makes those lists about the top 10 books of all time. I think it's actually that no one has made it the whole way through and they just figure that voting for it will make them look like they have read it, which will make them look scholarly in front of their academic peers. And besides, something that long and dense has to be good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now "arduously looping comments" are on my shit list! Some of the stuff I have been reading is so hard to understand, the only conclusion that I can come to is that it is deliberate obfuscation (I did have to look that word up to be sure it was the right one). And why is this rewarded so?

    Why are you still reading this? Did I ever twist your arm to read "Confederacy Of Dunces?" Read that instead!!! I'll mail you a copy!

    And, more importantly, why and where did you bite yourself?

    ReplyDelete