Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Scenic Route

I hate Interstate 95. I am going from Florida to Pennsylvania and back. I hope to take two days each way. And the most direct route is the most dreaded (by me) on the planet. I would rather drive anywhere else than DC, Wilmington and Baltimore (in that order). Honestly. So I am trying to come up with alternative routes that won't take me too far out of the way or through too many small towns on too many small highways. I actually don't mind adding miles to my trip if the scenery is worth it. And I do like going through small towns as long as they aren't Waldo (Fla). Google it if ya don't believe me. But (there is always a but), since I am driving with my dear daughter, I don't want to be too far from civilization, rescue, anonymity. Also, there are only so many hours she is willing to withstand in a carseat, even if playing with cousins is the major bribe for going.
That said, I am going to try something new. Go where I haven't gone before. I am going to minimize interstate driving. Not at the expense of a speed limit of 45, but I am sticking to smaller highways, smaller towns. I am going to look for some fruit stands and farmers markets. I still look back fondly on the groves of pecan trees in late summer along US41 in south Georgia, cotton bolls literally littering the road-side, and the southern mansions with manicured lawns. There is really nothing like it. So I am going to try to find that kind of fun further north.
Oh, and here is the kicker...(are you ready for it?)...there will be nothing (and no-one) named Magellan, Tom-Tom, or Garmin in my car. No GPS. Just good old triple-A road maps, maybe an atlas, printed directions, and even a Gazetteer. Hopelessly old fashioned? Perhaps. However, I have found that it is really hard to have an experience when that little voice is nagging you to take a right in 200 yards. It is not all about the destination, people. Sometimes it is good to look around, decide on the spur of the moment to take that road less travelled, and even to get lost. I have gotten lost before, and it doesn't scare me. You meet some of the nicest people and see the prettiest sights getting lost. And it feels like an adventure again instead of just a long commute.
I figure I am adding about two hours of driving time. Balance that against the wait times in DC traffic jams, and the difficulty of actually finding the McDonalds in Virginia (those freaks don't believe in tourist-friendly advertisement), and I might come out ahead. If I am lucky, I may find a fried chicken or catfish place for dinner that will be worth revisiting. If I am unlucky, I will merely find another way not to go. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Tim and I lag behind others in appreciation/need of those GPS things. Even my parents love theirs. But I like to chart out the route on a map. I like the idea of googling possible places to eat in little towns along the way. The food network makes us believe everyplace has some interesting restaurants!

    And good for you for not being afraid of getting lost. The only place that would really bother me would be some run down inner city neighborhood, or Deerhunter grade boonies. But in most of regular America, there is nothing wrong with being a little lost, as long as you have gas! I remember Tim and I driving that giant moving van back to Florida from Arizona and getting off the interstate for gas on just fumes and finding 1) gas station out of business and 2) ourselves on a tiny winding road with no place to turn around heading who-knows-where! Even that turned out OK. We ended up at a super rural gas station/hangout featuring a midget playing a video game. That kind of stuff puts the capital "A" in adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It sounds like you'll have fun! What part of PA are you visiting? Once you get further north, if you can drive up 79, that's a pretty good road. It takes you to western Pa, but you can also get to 68 from there, which takes you east to Maryland, or to the turnpike, which is a toll road, but will also get you to places in eastern Pa. Good luck with your trip and have a fun time!

    ReplyDelete